Cantrell and Hope

Cantrell and Hope
My three blessings from the Lord

Thursday, August 9, 2007

better day

well today has been better! Praise the Lord! thank you jessica for the encouragment , it meant alot. Steven was home some today so he finished school with them while i was at a wic apointment. But he did well for me writing his letters . We have this place mat you write the letters in the white little box it really helped him write them. He loves to write it is the funniest, and he loves the leap frog video , But i have a question? i watched it with him tonight, i do not agree on how the make the sound for L, and O are the correct and if so how do you teach the word
To, and the L i really think they are wrong i do realize that they are only teaching the one way and some do make multiple sounds but these make no since. So does the O make three sounds?? I feel stupid but i don't remember it being taught that way to me.

is there another video that explains the different ways to say the letters. i have the blend one also.

Well our choices right now are Maine and San Diego Ca. we are praying about them both. was leaning Maine now leaning Ca or we will wait to see what comes up next month but not much will.

5 comments:

Glenda said...

Hey Christina-
I am glad that you had a better day. I think that the 'Code word Caper' gets into the different sounds that the letters can make. I don't have that one either but Daniel and Jessica had that one while they were here last. The part I watched was talking about the silent "E". That is why I think it gets into the short and long vowel sounds. We have run to issues with the letter video teaching only the short vowel sounds because their names have the long sound. I have been thinking about investing in the other video. I didn't learn this way either. I also struggle with the 'L'. I tell myself because it is a 'L' sound by itself not 'La' like I want to say.

Shannon said...

hi i,m shannon jess babysetter i,m not good spell my blog name is lionqueen13

christina said...

hello its nice to meet you! im glad they have you to help them. They are a great family!

Jess said...

When you are ready to move past just the basic letter sounds, you might try "The Writing Road to Reading". It's the book I used with Gloria. Not only is her handwriting phenomenal compared to the rest of our family, but it teaches all the sounds of the letters. For instance, while they are writing the letter "o", you would say, "This letter can say "Ah, Oh, or Ooo".

We'd walk around Walmart pointing to letters on signs above our heads and making the sounds that the letters make. For example, we'd see the letter "s" and say, "Ssss Zzzz". That way when you've moved past words like "snake", your child won't be confused when they encounter a word like "has" or "eggs" because they already know that "s" can sometimes make a "z" sound.

Also, it teaches you to write all the letters that start with circles first, and then all the letters that begin with a line. I liked that method.

Jess

Jess said...

I forgot to add that you'll also eventually get into "r" controlled words and letters that have a whole new sound when combined with other letters. For instance: "car, bird, nerd" are controlled by the letter "r", and therefore make a new sound that those vowels don't normally make. You don't introduce these things to your kids yet. Right now it's okay to focus on the main sounds they usually make.

Oh, and you mentioned the problem with the letter "L". I think you have to consider that we have all been taught to extend the sounds letters make...and that is wrong. "B" does not say "buh" unless there is a "u" after it. So when you teach your kids what sound it makes, you need to cut it very short and don't add a vowel sound that isn't there.

I definitely recommend getting the other videos, by the way. You can get them used on Amazon fairly cheap. The "Compound Words" video and "Code Word Capers" are both good. You don't need the reading video or the math video.

Jess